WHAT WE DO
The North Star Academy is an initiative of Community Living Opportunities (CLO). North Star Academy provides early behavioral intervention for children ages 2 to 12 years with intellectual or developmental disabilities, including children with autism spectrum disorder.
We focus on the individual child, taking into consideration their unique abilities, individual interests, and family’s priorities to develop an individualized curriculum intervention plan. Research shows that those children with intellectual and developmental disabilities who receive early, individualized Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) intervention have a greater chance for future success.
EVIDENCE-BASED INDIVIDUALIZED INTERVENTION INCLUDES
• Curriculum-based assessment & intervention strategies to
promote socially significant skill acquisition
• Functional analysis & treatment of challenging behaviors such
as self-injury, aggression, property destruction, disruptive
behavior, food selectivity, & toileting issues
• Low staff-to-child ratios
• Clinical programming based on the principles of Applied
Behavior Analysis (ABA)
• Data-driven programming and decision making customized for
each unique child
EACH CHILD HAS ACCESS TO:
• On-site behavioral training for parents, siblings, and additional caregivers
• Coordination of care with physicians and other support
• Opportunities to interact with typically developing peers
• On-site speech-language therapy and occupational therapy
THE NSA APPROACH
Our goal is for children to acquire the skills necessary for inclusion in public schools, independent living, and meaningful social relationships. We use the principles of ABA to provide best-practice, empirically based treatment.
North Star Academy’s approach includes:
- Evidence-Based Individualized Intervention
- Applied Research Program
- Inclusive Setting (on the same campus with Johnson County
- Training and Practicum Site
North Star Academy employs highly-credentialed clinicians who specialize in serving individuals with challenging behaviors and learning deficits in a safe, comfortable environment that fosters learning and progress. Staff have training in ABA and early childhood education. At NSA, children interact daily with a team of professionals and other typically developing peers dedicated to their well-being. NSA offers an outstanding onsite research program for ABA professionals. Additionally, NSA is a valuable training and practicum site for undergraduate, Masters, and Doctoral-level trainees.
Schedule 8:45 AM - 2:45 PM (Monday-Friday) 225+ days per year, including summer
North Star Academy offers an outstanding on-site research program for Applied Behavior Analysis professionals. In addition, NSA is a valuable training and practicum site for undergraduate-, Masters-, and Doctoral-level trainees.